Adding a fine art texture to your image in Photoshop
You can find the LSP Fine Art Texture Overlays, which include actions to add the texture
- Open your image in Photoshop
- Go to File > Place Embedded and locate the texture Jpeg image
- Hit "Place"
- Resize to cover your image
- Make sure your layers panel is visible (Window > Layers)
- On the texture layer, change the blend mode from Normal to Soft Light (for a gentle texture) or Overlay (for a stronger texture)
- Add a layer mask (click the little icon at the bottom of the layers panel like this [o]
- Use a black brush to brush away from your subject's skin
- Remember, not all textures are created equal! Make sure you're using a texture that suits your image - be it grunge, fine art or gentle - the texture has to make sense.
- If you find the texture is changing the tones of your image too much, you can desaturate the texture by using Control/Command + Shift + U
- If you want to further edit the texture smart object, you can double click the little icon on the texture layer.
Related: Want to know how to add gorgeous depth with a fine art finish, using award-winning textures?
Transform your image into a masterpiece